Let's Have a Little Fun
The last few weeks I've been jamming this blog full of useful marketing tips and ideas while over on Medium I've been getting all meta, writing about writing. This week I decided to change it up and do something completely different...just for the heck of it.
So purely for your entertainment I answered the Proust questionnaire. You can get to know me a bit better. But in the comments YOU can feel free to answer any or all of the questions back and let me get to know you a bit better. Or just remain the anonymous statistics that fill my Google analytics page...whatever makes you happy. ;)
1. What is your greatest fear?
Well, that starts it off with a bang doesn't it. I'd have to say to outlive my children.
2. What historical figure do you most identify with?
Despite being a history major I had a really hard time with this one. It would have to be a kick-ass female devoted to her art. None are immediately springing to mind - this is tragic.
3. Which living person do you most admire?
My Mom. I know, pass the beauty pageant crown but my Mom is truly my best friend and the older I get the more I appreciate her.
4. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Perfectionism and playing it safe.
5. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Arrogance and lack of compassion.
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
The only things I really buy myself are books. So if I'm extravagant about something it would have to be something for the kids... I know the extravagance I would LOVE to have someday is someone to clean my house, even just once a week. That sounds like the epitome of luxury to me.
7. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
The idea that we must all achieve this perfect, balanced life and the implication that you're "less than" or not doing it right if you don't. Talk about pressure.
8. On what occasions do you lie?
If I'm struggling to find a way to be honest AND kind. So I'll lie to be polite or save someone's feelings (ex. yes, I love this type of food that you've cooked!)
9. What do you dislike most about your appearance?
Haha, learning to love your body after children and realizing it will never be the same has been a journey. I'm still working on it. But when I look at the two incredible little humans I got out of it - well, it's all worth it, isn't it?
10. What is the quality you most like in a man?
Compassion and intelligence
11. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Compassion and intelligence
12. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
I'm sure there's a program that could analyze my writing and tell you this. With two small children it probably begins with "Can you please stop..."
13. Who or what is the greatest love of your life?
Well, the who is my husband. We've been together 16 years (married 8). And despite what I'm about to say next there are no words adequate for that emotion.
The what would be words - reading them, writing them, the thoughts contained in them and the firework of ideas they spark in my brain.
14. Which talent would you most like to have?
I love to sing. I wish I was good at it. Apologies to my family.
15. Where would you most like to live?
Near the ocean.
16. What is your most marked characteristic?
I feel like you should ask other people this question. But if it's up to me to answer I feel like I'm known for my intelligence, but people also come to me with problems a lot so I'm also known as a compassionate, good listener.
17. What do you most value in your friends?
Humor and compassion. I feel like the word compassion is getting written down more than anything else. Freudian analysis anyone? lol
18. Who are your favourite writers?
I love Edgar Allan Poe, Emily Dickinson, Maya Angelou, Paulo Coelho, C.S. Lewis, J.K. Rowling...this list could go on forever. Usually, I say it's whomever I'm reading at the time. Although, lately I've been reading a lot of non-fiction for work. I can't say any of those books would jump out at my as favourites. My heart lies with fiction and poetry.
19. Who is your hero of fiction?
As a child I grew up reading and loving Little Women. Jo March was my heroine for many years.
20. When and where were you happiest?
Standing on a beach with the waves crashing at my feet. It was sunset and my family was running up and down the almost-deserted beach. We were on vacation in Cuba.
21. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
Worry less about small things. I'm working on it :)
22. If you could change one thing about your family what would it be?
That they would clean up after themselves!
23. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
24. If you died and came back as a person or thing what do you think it would be?
If I could come back as an animal I'd like to be a dolphin. But I think it'd be too strange to be another person.
25. What's your most treasured possession?
I have many things that are special to me but not one thing that I treasure above all the rest. I'm currently cleaning out my house (spring cleaning came a little late this year) and it feels SOOO good to purge.
26. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Feeling like you have nothing worthwhile to contribute or say. Followed closely by crowded, noisy, smelly, congested places. Example shopping malls at Christmas "shudder".
27. Who are your heroes in real life?
My mom, my 6th grade teacher, my grandparents, my husband, my grade 11 English teacher
28. What is it that you most dislike?
Lack of compassion
29. What is your greatest regret?
My greatest regrets all happened when I didn't trust my instincts....so not trusting my intuition.
30. How would you like to die?
In my sleep
31. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A summer afternoon sprawled out on the lawn, watching my kids run around and play while I read, write and drink tea.
32. What is your motto?
I believe that the single most important thing beyond discipline and creativity is daring to dare - Maya Angelou
Answer one or all of the questions. After all the Proust questionnaire originated as a 19th century parlour game.
WANT TO SIGN UP FOR MORE LOVE LETTERS LIKE THIS ONE? YOU CAN ADD YOUR NAME TO THE GROWING LIST RIGHT HERE.